You can now sit functional skills exams online!
Do you want to improve your English skills? Perhaps you’d like to refresh your memory when it comes to punctuation and grammar, or boost your CV? Functional skills English level 1 is the nationally recognised qualification you've been searching for.
If you've ever had trouble filling out forms, understanding technical letters, or presenting your ideas to others, this Level 1 English course was made for you! Furthermore, it’s accredited by NCFE, and welcomed by employers as proof of your knowledge and skills. Level 1 English will advance your reading abilities, expand your vocabulary, and become adept at writing clearly and concisely. You'll prepare for your exams with unlimited tutor support, easy-to-follow assignments and practice papers, so you’ll be fully equipped for success!
Why study Functional Skills English Level 1?
- You’ll gain an NCFE accredited qualification
- You can demonstrate to employers you’ve mastered a range of skills, such as presenting ideas in a clear way and using correct punctuation and grammar
- You’ll gain the qualification and confidence to apply for jobs or higher education courses requiring maths knowledge
- You can study in your own time, at your own pace, via laptop, phone, or tablet
- You can retake units at any time to strengthen your knowledge and prepare for your exams
Want to improve your mathematics skills too? Combine Functional Skills Level 1 English with Functional Skills Maths Level 1 with our money-saving bundle!
What you'll learn
Unit 1 - Speaking and Listening
- Follow narratives and lines of argument.
- Communicate information, ideas and opinions clearly and effectively, providing further detail and development if required.
- Use language that is effective, accurate and appropriate to context and situation.
Unit 2 - Reading
- Use a range of reference materials and appropriate resources (e.g. glossaries, legends/keys) for different purposes, including to find the meanings of works in straight forward and complex sources.
- Follow an argument, identifying different points of view and distinguishing fact from opinion.
- Identify difference styles of writing and writer’s voices
Unit 3 - Writing
- Punctuate writing correctly using a wide range of punctuation marks (e.g. colons, commas, inverted commas, apostrophes and quotation marks).
- Spell words used in work, study and daily life, including a range of specialist words.
- Communicate information, ideas and opinions clearly, coherently and effectively.
NCFE is the leader in vocational and technical learning committed to powering a more intelligent education eco-system. We combine over 170 years of experience with deep insight into what is needed and what works.
From world-class qualifications and content to new assessment methodologies, from innovative technology platforms to partnership opportunities with our network of expert collaborators – NCFE galvanises the education sector to shape the most innovative solutions for individual learning needs. In doing this, we’re working for a fairer education system for all learners to power inclusivity and choice.
Click here to confirm it's real with OfQual.
At the end of this course, successful learners will be awarded a formal certificate of achievement by NCFE. The training courses have been designed specifically to meet the needs of learners who prefer to study from home.
How is this course assessed or examined?
This course is designed for distance learning study. To successfully pass the course, you’ll complete a series of practice papers and, with your tutor’s approval, your final exams.
Exams cost just £95 when you choose to sit them online, or to sit them in person here at Oxbridge. If you want us to come to you, it will cost £175 + travel costs.
Find out more about the online exam process here.
There are no formal entry requirements for this course, however, it is recommended that you have an intermediate ability to read and write English.