In modern society, words are everything. Words make the world go around. They're in the speech we use and the news we read. Now we're giving you the chance to command them like a pro with our Proofreading Diploma Level 4. Perfect your grammar and punctuation skills to lend authority, trust and consistency to just about any writer's work.
Proofreading isn't just about checking for errors in the wording we use. It also relates to the message, tone of voice, and consistency of a text. It's about having a broad knowledge of the English language. It's also sentence structure and knowing how writing must look and feel on the page of a publication.
We'll help you to understand grammar basics, from nouns to pronouns, right down to tricky clauses. You'll also review the roles and differences between verbs and adverbs, adjectives and prepositions. Imagine that moment when you can solve common problems and create slick style sheets for clients.
When studying our Proofreading Diploma Level 4, you will:
- Learn just what proofreading is and why it's important
- Discover the grammar basics from nouns to verbs, clauses and sentences
- Appreciate the effectiveness of punctuation
- Recognise common problems at word, clause and phrase levels
- Check and improve the quality of various documents
- Develop a keen eye for detail, spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Know how to prepare a style sheet for other people to learn from
What you'll learn
Unit 1 - Introduction
- What proofreading is
- The different settings proofreading is used in
- The benefits of proofreading for businesses
Unit 2 - Grammar Review I
Unit 3 - Grammar II
Unit 4 - Grammar Review III
Unit 5 - Punctuation
- Common errors with punctuation
Unit 6 - Common Problems at the Word Level
- Identifying errors
- Common word confusions
Unit 7 - Common Problems at the Phrase or Clause Level
- Language consistency
- Understanding and proofreading phrases for intended audiences
Unit 8 - Working or Preparing A Style Sheet Conclusion
- The importance of a style sheet
- Why a style sheet is used
The Quality Licence Scheme is part of the Skills and Education Group, a charitable organisation that unites education and skills-orientated organisations that share similar values and objectives. With more than 100 years of collective experience, the Skills and Education Group’s strategic partnerships create opportunities to inform, influence and represent the wider education and skills sector.
At the end of this course, successful learners will receive a Certificate of Achievement from QLS (Quality Licence Scheme) and a Learner Unit Summary (which lists the details of all of the units you have completed as part of your course). Read more about QLS.
How is this course assessed or examined?
Theoretical information is provided throughout the Proofreading Diploma course, followed by a series of exercises that are to be completed and marked by your personal tutor.
While there are no strict entry requirements for this level four Proofreading Diploma, it is strongly recommended that you have the ability to effectively read and write in English.